Policy For Children
1. Parents or legal guardians are always responsible for the well-being and safety of their children. The library staff cannot assume responsibility for children of any age left unattended.
2. Children under age 8 shall not be left unattended. They must be attended by a responsible person at all times, preferably a parent, guardian or care giver.
3. Children over age 8 may use the library unattended and will be expected to follow the regular rules of the library.
4. Children age 8 and over may be left during a program. A parent is to sign the child in and leave a phone number where they can be reached during the time of the program. A parent, guardian or care giver must check the length of time of the program and return promptly to pick up the child.
5. If any child under age 8 is left unattended at the library and an attempt to contact a parent, guardian or caregiver is unsuccessful; the Hartford Police Department may be notified. They may choose to remove the child to the police station for his or her own safety. If a child under age 8 is left unattended at closing time, and an attempt to contact a parent, guardian or caregiver is not successful, the police may be notified.
6. Parents or legal guardians assume all liability for damage done by their children to the library. This includes damage to materials, computers, furnishings, and to the facility itself.
7. The Library is not responsible for enforcing the restrictions a parent deems appropriate in terms of the materials the child may access.